Newb Questions

Mining Rigs, mining optimization and pools for Verium
okyjj

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:25 am

My excuse for asking these questions here is that the archive of the old boards does not seem to be working right yet, and all the google searches I do end up redirected to these new boards with no posts.

SO, that said:

1) Does "Estimated block hit within" mean anything at all besides an average time based on my hashrate vs network hashrate? Is there any sort of "progress" I earn by mining over time, or is that not the meaning of "proof-of-work-time"? (And if there is some sort of progress made, the corollary question is: do I lose something by stopping mining temporarily and starting back up?) Should I expect this number to go down toward zero as I mine or just stay more or less the same?

2) Does it matter how many network connections I have? I only seem to have 4 to 8 at a time on Verium Vault at home, where I get to 20 consistently with Vericoin Wallet. On my work computer when I tested Verium I got to 20. (I since decided it would not be good to mine at work, but was curious.)

3) If I am mining just on my CPU of a single new regular Windows 10 computer, should I switch to a pool miner which I've seen people talking about which may get a better hashrate from my CPU than the Verium client? I get in the 1300 range on 7 cores with an I7-7700.

Thanks for any answers.

Verilisk

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:37 pm

1) The estimated block hit is based just on current and network hash rate. You don't lose anything by stopping mining for short periods.

2) It doesn't matter how many connections you have as long as you're on the head of the main chain. You can check the block explorer.

3) Right now it is more efficient to use the precompiled pool miner binary since that has assembly optimization. We're working on an updated VRM wallet that has these optimizations so the external miner is no longer necessary.

modfyd

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Hi

I am new to any type of mining, but just converted two Dell R710s with 12 cores each to mining Verium on Ubuntu. I've been running at ~3000Hm for 30ish hours straight with 0.000000000 coins Program seems to be running fine, block counter is working. Am I doing something wrong? It doesn't seem to be updating.

verimad
Site Admin

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:09 pm

modfyd wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 pm
Hi

I am new to any type of mining, but just converted two Dell R710s with 12 cores each to mining Verium on Ubuntu. I've been running at ~3000Hm for 30ish hours straight with 0.000000000 coins Program seems to be running fine, block counter is working. Am I doing something wrong? It doesn't seem to be updating.
What do you mean but updating? Do you mean you haven't received any Verium yet?

Verium is meant to be a hard to mine reasource/commodity/digital asset. So patience is key...mining at 3000kh/m will take a few days to a week to find a block. For anything under 8000kh/m I would recommend mining at a pool till we have p2pool available which @effectstocause is working on and close to being finished. With p2pool, you will see more frequent payouts while mining as each block found/mined will be split between the participants on the pool by there hashrate share.

Also you can try this Verium Mining calculator to see your rate of return https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... FhgnVaakQ4

Hope that helps
@verimad
VeriCoin and Verium
Community Manager/Social Media Manager/Development Adviser

modfyd

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Got it, thanks :-)

okyjj

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:14 am

Thanks everyone for the previous answers.

I now need some help getting started on one of the existing pools. I have tried downloading the file at https://vrm.poolinat0r.com/cpuminer-opt ... windows.7z but I can't seem to open or run it. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do I open it with? I have never before mined anything, as I got into Bitcoin too late to do that without specialized equipment. I learned about Verium right as I was getting a new PC, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to CPU mine.

I was lucky enough to find one block about 10 days ago. I run somewhere in the 1300s kh/m on the Verium Vault. Network hashrate keeps rising and I don't know when I will find another block, so I want to switch to the pool. Also I read that the poolinator client may make better use of my CPU.

So, 2 questions now:

1) Can someone post a link to a basic tutorial for getting started in pool mining VRM on a Windows 10 PC, including how to install the poolinator client? (Such may exist on the old forums but they are now hard to get to.)

2) Do we have an approximate timeframe on an update to the Vault itself and/or the p2pool feature?

Thanks again.

Megamassas

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 am

hey,

i'm minning on the bloxstor pool. I've followed these steps:

https://vrm.bloxstor.com/index.php?page=gettingstarted

it's easy, and well explained.

vanv101

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 am

Verimad I think you need to take the "k" out of the hashrates used. :)

• Information